Shrewsbury W60 world tour women’s tournament
Volunteer Information Sheet
We are looking to assemble a super-friendly volunteer team to help deliver Shropshire's largest international tennis event for over 5 years. We are expecting a turnout of many leading players especially as the event follows on from the Fed Cup event in Bath the weekend before.
You don’t need any previous tennis or volunteering experience to be involved, but bags of enthusiasm and a passion for helping others is a must and we wonder if you’d like to be involved!
It’s really important to us that our volunteers have lots of fun too, which is why you'll get involved in all that is going on, meet lots of new people and watch some world-class tennis. Event apparel, food & refreshments and a tournament ticket pass enabling you to watch tennis for the whole week free of charge (providing you volunteer for a minimum of three sessions).
The Shrewsbury Club, Sundorne Road, Shrewsbury SY1 4RG
Sunday 10 – Saturday 16 February 2019
Our volunteer team will play a pivotal role as the public face of the event, ensuring that all fans have a positive and safe experience.
The roles include:
- Check tickets as fans enter the match courts and direct them to their seats
- Ensure those seated on the match courts are respectful of play and of others around them
Welcome & Player Accreditation Desk
- Scan tickets as fans enter the venue
- Provide fans with wristbands and explain the procedures for accessing the Club, the courts and the hospitality tent
- Manage queues and assist wheelchair users with route to the courts
- Create an upbeat, positive atmosphere as people arrive
- Answer questions and queries about the event and venue
- You will receive a briefing on how to perform all roles at the start of each session.
- Transporting players, event staff and VIPs
- Shuttle runs between venue & event hotel
- You will most likely be driving a luxury 8 seater SUV from our sponsors Budgen Motors, so need to be comfortable driving a vehicle of this size
- A local knowledge of Shrewsbury and the area around the venue is preferable
- Must be aged 25 or over
- Must have a clean driving licence
- Must have held your driving licence for at least 2 years
- Must meet the ‘Group 2’ medical standards if you’re over 70 - check with your GP if you’re not sure you meet the standards
The session times for all event days will vary depending upon play but we are expecting them to be as follows:
- Morning session 08:15 - 13:15
- Afternoon session 13:00 - 18:00
- Evening session 17:30 - 22:00*
If selected to volunteer, you must commit to volunteering for a minimum of 3 sessions.
*Exact finish times may vary depending on match length. We will try to stand down all volunteers as early as we reasonably can and it is very likely that most days you will be finished before 9pm
We always allow sufficient numbers to ensure you’ll receive plenty of regular breaks throughout your session. Plus, you’ll always be partnered with at least one other volunteer, so that you’ve got someone to work with you.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU…
- Event-branded uniform
- Daily food allowance, plus free refreshments
- Get to watch some world-class tennis
- Be at the heart of a major tennis event in Shropshire
Please note we do not provide expenses for travel or accommodation.
- You must be aged 16 or older at the time of the event
- Applicants should also note that you may be required to be standing/on your feet for extended periods.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide volunteers parking at the venue. As with all the Shrewsbury Club staff we would ask all volunteers to park at the Shrewsbury Sports Village which is a 5-minute walk from the Club. Car parking here will be free and we have agreed this parking arrangement with the Sports Village!
If you would love to be part of the team then please complete the online form below.
If you would like to complete a paper application then please download our PDF form and hand it in at reception at The Shrewsbury Club or post it to the Club for the attention of the Volunteer Co-ordinator World Tour W60 event
Cathie Sabin, our Volunteer Co-ordinator will look forward to hearing from you by Friday 25th January, and will try to let everyone know the rotas by February 3rd.
Do please encourage others to apply and by all means indicate if there is someone you would like to work with if it would make travelling easier.
We cannot guarantee that we will be able to use everyone but would like to thank you for your interest and offer of support.
Complete our short online volunteer form